SUBMISSION GUIDELINES, RULES & FAQS
- ON FILM // in any format and of any kind, including instant films, specialty films like orthochromatic and lithographic emulsions,
- Using ANALOGUE/MATERIAL MEDIA & HISTORICAL/ALTERNATIVE PROCESSES such as Collodion-based processes (wet plates, tintypes, ambrotypes, etc.), Calotypes & paper negatives, photograms, etc. For a full list of eligible processes please visit our FAQS section below at Question #11
All submissions captured digitally will be disqualified without notice. While digital captures are not accepted digitized analogue works, such as scanned negatives post-edited digitally are all eligible to be entered.
Submission forms require photographers to certify works entered are eligible.
Entrants are allowed an unlimited number of submissions for any of the SHORTLISTS Calls until selected & published.
Exhibition Winners and ShortListed photographers from past FotoFilmic Competition editions can only enter new or different works (images already published at FotoFilmic will be disqualified without notice).
FOTOFILMIC18 accepts submissions until April 2, 2018 and is divided between 3 consecutive SHORTLIST Calls each selecting 30 different film & analogue photographers: SHORTLIST I Call (January), SHORTLIST II Call (February) & SHORTLIST III Call (March).
Entrants can submit to any SHORTLIST Calls until selected. Early submissions are encouraged for greater chances of making the SHORTLIST cut and gain maximum exposure through Online ShortList Feature publications.
FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SCHEDULE
Deadline to enter your work: Feb 2, 2018
Announcement of the 30 shortlisted artists: Feb 5, 2018
Deadline to enter your work: March 4, 2018
Announcement of the 30 shortlisted artists: March 6, 2018
Deadline to enter your work: April 9, 2018
Announcement of the 30 shortlisted artists: April 12, 2018
For each SHORTLIST Call deadline entries must be received electronically before midnight Pacific Standard Time (PST).
FOTOFILMIC18 JURYING & SHORTLIST SHOW TIMELINE
APRIL 15, 2018 | SHORTLIST SHOW SELECTED ARTISTS ANNOUNCEMENT
APRIL 2018 | FOTOFILMIC18 EXHIBITION JURYING
MAY 2018 | FOTOFILMIC18 INTERNATIONAL TRAVELING EXHIBITION WINNERS ANNOUNCEMENT
JUNE 2018 | FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW, 12 Photographers, FotoFilmic//PULP, Vancouver/Bowen Island, BC
Final Exhibition Dates and Venues for the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition of 30 photographers TBA in the summer of 2018
DIGITAL FILE PREPARATION, SPECS & NAMING
All submitted image files must be formatted as follow:
FILE FORMAT: JEPG (maximum quality settings)
IMAGE RESOLUTION: 72 ppi
IMAGE DIMENSIONS: 1500-pixel Width (horizontals) or 1500-pixel Height (verticals)
COLOR PROFILE: sRBG
FILE NAMING (LOWERCASE): lastname_firstname_number.jpeg
SHORT INTERVIEW BIO & QUESTIONS
Entrants are required to fill out their entry form entirely providing their name, street & email addresses. Entry form information must also include:
1. SHORT BIO (1 paragraph )
2. INTERVIEW ANSWERS (1-2 paragraph/1000-character max) to the questions:
1) Artist Statement: Please describe what your series of work is about.
2) Practice Statement: How does photographing on film (or using your material photographic process of predilection) inform your artistic practice?
ONLINE SHORTLIST FEATURES
3 CURATED IMAGES + SUBMISSION INTERVIEW
If ShortListed your submission interview answers, short bio and website link/main social media handle will be integrally published online along with 3 images selected from your submission as your official “Online ShortList Feature”.
SHORTLIST SHOW | FOTOFILMIC//PULP GALLERY
1 month-long curated FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW will open at the FotoFilmic//PULP Gallery on Bowen Island, Vancouver, BC, Canada in June 2018.
The FOTOFILMIC8 SHORTLIST SHOW will showcase 12 of the 90 ShortListed photographers as single-edition hand-signed artist prints presented in 16″x20″ custom archival mats & frames.
Selected SHORTLIST SHOW photographers will be contacted following the last SHORTLIST Winners announcement (April 2018) to receive a FotoFilmic Print Consignment Agreement and shipping instructions to mail their exhibition print.
FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST PRINT COLLECTION
All exhibited SHORTLIST SHOW prints will create and belong to the new FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST Print Collection published & promoted online, as well as inventoried at the FotoFilmic//PULP Gallery.
FOTOFILMIC18 submitters having also entered a PhotoBook will need to complete the following additional information on their submission form:
1. COMPLETE PHOTO BOOK REFERENCES
- BOOK TITLE
- AUTHOR NAME
- TOTAL PAGE NUMBER
- BOOK DIMENSIONS
- EDITION NUMBER
- NUMBER OF PRINTED COPIES FOR EDITION SUBMITTED
- PUBLICATION DATE
- PUBLISHER IF NOT SELF-PUBLISHED
- ISBN NUMBER IF PUBLISHED BY A PUBLISHER
2. FOTOBOOKS LISTING INFORMATION
- 1 short 100-word descriptive paragraph
- 2 -3 different photographs (1200 pixels width) documenting the book cover, inside pages and back cover or close-up detail.
FOTOBOOKS COLLECTION & CONSIGNMENT AGREEMENT
All PhotoBooks submitted will be accepted and published on a monthly basis online onto the new Online FotoFilmic Store as part of the FOTOBOOKS Collection, as well as inventoried at FotoFilmic//PULP on Vancouver’s Bowen Island, BC, Canada. Just like exhibition submissions PhotoBooks submitted must all present work integrally shot on film or using other analogue/material methods and processes.
Submitters will be contacted by FotoFilmic shortly after completing their submission to be forwarded a FOTOBOOKS consignment agreement, as well as shipping instructions to send their books.
Submitters agree to make available 3 signed copies for consignment at FotoFilmic//PULP on Bowen Island, Vancouver in British Columbia, Canada. FOTOBOOKS consignment is limited to a maximum period of 2 years after which time unsold copies will be sent back to photographers at their request and own expense.
FOTOFILMIC18 EXHIBITORS PHOTOBOOK SHOWCASES
The final 30 FOTOFILMIC18 Winners participating to the Traveling Exhibition in San Francisco, Vancouver & Seoul in 2019 who included a PhotoBook in their submission will see 1 of their 3 book copies accompany the exhibition in all 3 international venues and be showcased there for the entire duration of the exhibitions to gain additional exposure and promotion.
Images must be free of trademarks/watermarks, logos, names, borders and dust marks.
All works entered must be the photographer’s own. Entrants also guarantee that all copyrights corresponding to the work submitted in their name are theirs, or that in the case copyrights have been ceded to a third party they have effectively obtained express authorization from the third party to use their imagery for the purpose of being exhibited and published as part of FOTOFILMIC18.
Entrants certify that they have received in written form appropriate release from all models and persons featured in the work they enter regarding possible commercial uses.
By submitting work to FOTOFILMIC18 photographers also agree to the restricted use of their imagery for promotional purposes in relation to FOTOFILMIC18 online publications as well as printed marketing materials.
USD$60.00 | 4 to 20 Images + 1 optional PhotoBook
For a submission to be validated submitters must complete appropriate payment and enter the requested minimum 4 images. For the same flat USD$60 submission fee submitters can enter up to a total of 20 image files, as well as include 1 PhotoBook. There is no discount available if submitting less than the maximum number of images allowed, or if not submitting any PhotoBook. Entries submitted with less than four images will be automatically invalidated without refund.
Once validated all submissions are final and cannot be edited, revised or changed afterwards.
Submission Fees Payments are only accepted through Paypal and by Credit Card via the FOTOFILMIC18 Submission Form. Submission fees are non-refundable. Regular Credit Card fees may apply. Please read our FAQS section below for more payment details.
USD$125.00 | One-Time Exhibitor Contribution Fee
Also called “Intercontinental FotoFilmic fee”, each final FOTOFILMIC18 Exhibition Winner will be required to contribute an additional one-time USD$125.00 fee toward covering the considerable logistical expenses (crating, packing, roundtrip shipping and transportation, shipping insurance, etc.) incurring to bring the entire FOTOFILMIC18 Exhibition and accompanying PhotoBooks to our partnering exhibition venues in San Francisco, CA, USA, Vancouver, BC, Canada and Seoul, South Korea in 2019.
FotoFilmic exhibitions are juried by world renowned contemporary photography figures and hosted in a variety of professional venues: as a consequence FotoFilmic produces all its shows according to the higher presentation standards commercial galleries demand (museum-grade lab LightJet printing, custom matting & framing, etc.).
Recent FotoFilmic Traveling Exhibition editions have been presented in Seoul (Space 22, March 2016), New York (Sous Les Étoiles Gallery, September 2015), Los Angeles (dnj Gallery, November/December 2016), Boise (Boise State University Visual Arts Center, September/October 2016), Vancouver (Burrard Arts Foundation, April/May 2016 & 2017), Melbourne (Monash Gallery of Art, October/November 2017), and soon Paris (Binome Galerie, September 2018) & Thessaloniki (Stereosis School of Photography, October 2018).
OTHER FOTOFILMIC18 SUBMISSION FAQ
1. What are the deadlines to enter FOTOFILMIC18?
SHORTLIST I: The 1st deadline to enter FOTOFILMIC18 was on Friday, FEBRUARY 2, 2018 at Midnight (PST). 30 first shortlisted photographers have been announced on Monday, February 5, 2018 (30/90).
SHORTLIST II: The 2nd FOTOFILMIC18 deadline was on Friday, March 2, 2018 at midnight (PST). 30 additional shortlisted photographers were announced on Monday, March 5, 2018 bringing the SHORTLIST to 60/90.
SHORTLIST III: The final deadline to be selected and have work juried for possible participation to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition has been extended to Monday, April 9, 2018 at midnight (PST). The 30 last shortlisted photographers completing the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST (90/90) will be announced on Thursday, April 12, 2018.
Photographers shooting on film and analog processes are encouraged to apply early to get more chances to make the cut to the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST by submitting several times if needed to the three different SHORTLISTS Calls.
2. What do I need to apply to FOTOFILMIC18?
Submitters need at least 4 high quality Jpeg image files shot on film in any format or using analog methods/processes. Files specs are 72 ppi at 1500 pixels in width with an sRGB color profile.
Once your files are ready (you can upload up to 20 submission files per entry for the same fee), logon to www.fotofilmic.com and follow the online submission process. You will also be asked a short paragraph of bio information, as well as short paragraph answers to 2 short interview questions to be featured along with 3 of your submitted works if shortlisted. Make sure to complete your USD$60 Paypal payment right away in order to validate your submission: all unpaid/incomplete submissions are automatically deleted after 24 hours.
3. What do I get in return if selected for the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST?
All 90 FOTOFILMIC18 shortlisted photographers are published online on the FotoFilmic website as official winners taking part to the FOTOFILMIC18 ONLINE SHORTLIST FEATURES publication series. Each shortlisted photographer is given the FotoFilmic spot for an entire day through a short written interview along with 3 selected images plus active FotoFilmic social media coverage.
To insure durable promotion all FOTOFILMIC18 Features also have their own URL for convenient linking and remain accessible indefinitely.
In addition shortlisted photographers also:
– compete for the 2nd Exhibition step – the FOTOFILMIC18 International Juried Traveling Exhibition – with THE ENTIRETY OF THEIR SUBMITTED IMAGERY to be reviewed by the FOTOFILMIC18 Jury in April 2018 + a chance to win the new FOTOFILMIC PRIZE ($5,000) or one of the two Honorable Mentions
– have their 3 published images considered for the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW at FotoFilmic//PULP on Vancouver’s Bowen Island, BC, Canada
– have their exhibited FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW print join the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST Print Collection online + inventoried at FotoFilmic//PULP
4. If selected as one of the 30 final FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition photographers, do I need to ship my exhibition print to you?
NO | No print shipping is required as FotoFilmic produces Traveling Exhibitions entirely from scratch in Vancouver, BC working with professional printing & framing partners.
Instead final exhibitors will be required to forward a high resolution printing file to FotoFilmic to output all exhibition prints as custom proofed LightJet prints (Digital C-prints) to be framed in custom 17″x21″ photographic wood frames meeting the high exhibition standards demanded by our exhibition venue partners in San Francisco, Vancouver & Seoul.
Final FOTOFILMIC18 exhibitors will also be required to pay a One-Time $125 Exhibitor Contribution fee in April 2018 as indicated on all FOTOFILMIC18 submission forms and pages.
5. Do I still pay new entry fees if applying to more than 1 SHORTLIST Call?
YES | Each SHORTLIST Call corresponds to a separate selection process with a different entry deadline.
6. Can I hold or transfer a submission from one SHORTLIST Call to another?
NO | All entries are tied to a given SHORTLIST Call & deadline. If wishing to apply to more than one SHORTLIST call a new entry & entry fees payment need to be submitted.
7. I was shortlisted last year for FOTOFILMIC17: can I still enter the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition Call?
YES | For greater selection chances, please make sure work submitted this year is different than last year’s.
8. What type and format of photographic work can I submit?
All film formats are accepted as valid entries including 35mm, 120/220 medium format film, 4×5, 5×7, 8×10 and larger film formats, as well as 110 pocket film, 828 film for 35mm cameras and 127 or 620 medium format film. See answers to Question 11 of the FotoFilmic18 FAQS below for an exhaustive list of accepted film & analogue media. If not sure email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions before submitting.
9. Can I submit work shot on film but scanned & post-processed in Photoshop or other image editing softwares?
YES | Submissions shot on film & digitally post-processed are all accepted as long as the presentation of your work is not overtly digitized (HDR effects, etc). If in doubt email us a picture representative of your submission at email@example.com and we’ll reconfirm its eligibility.
10. Are Polaroid/Impossible Project/FujiFilm Instax emulsion lifts & transfers acceptable submissions?
YES | Any instant film/instant print emulsion manipulations and transfers are valid entries representing an important material practice in contemporary photography.
11. Do works produced with non-silver/alternative photographic processes qualify?
YES |FOTOFILMIC18 wishes to welcome and represent the broadest culture of film & material photography to reflect current practices as inclusively as possible. Most non-silver analog & historical photographic processes predating film technology qualify as valid submissions with the exclusion of a few printmaking methods: please see a detailed list below of all accepted and rejected photographic processes below
ACCEPTED ANALOG/NON-SILVER/HISTORICAL & ALTERNATIVE PROCESSES LIST:
– COLLODION processes: wet/dry plates, tin types, ambrotypes
– TALBOTYPE / CALOTYPE process in any paper negative size
– X-RAY film in any format
– PLATINUM / PALLADIUM printing
– ALBUMEN prints
– PHOTOGRAVURE printing
– PINHOLE / LENSLESS CAMERA images
– PHOTOGRAMS/CAMERA-LESS & WET DARKROOM experimental imagery
NON-ACCEPTED PRINTMAKING PROCESSES LIST:
Most printmaking processes/alternative printing methods taking away film aesthetics in favor of painterly/Pictorialist ones are not accepted including:
– GUM/ GUM BICHROMATE printing
– CARBON printing
– OIL/ BROMOIL printing
– SILK SCREEN printing
12. Are scanned prints, manipulated/teared prints or print montages valid entries?
Yes, photographic print manipulations do qualify for entering work as long as the information was initially captured on film. Print montages, re-photographing, and more recently re-scanning all belong to the rich experimental history of photography.
13. Can work submitted from prints/scanned prints include borders and/or film brand & emulsion?
YES | Inclusion of borders and film brand/emulsion name information fits well within material photographic aesthetics.
14. Do I need to submit a coherent group of images as in a series?
NO | The choice is yours: you are free to submit any number of photographs as individual images so your submission reflects a versatile practice, or on the contrary submit a coherent body of work and tighten your submission focus toward promoting a particular, defined practice.
15. Does work already published online elsewhere or exhibited for another publication or show than FotoFilmic qualify for submission?
YES | There is absolutely no issue with submitting work that has already been published online or exhibited outside of FotoFilmic.
PHOTOBOOK SUBMISSIONS FAQ
16. Can I choose to only submit a PhotoBook and not enter any images toward the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition?
NO | All PhotoBook submissions must be attached to a regular Images submission for the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition: there is no entry option available to solely enter PhotoBooks.
17. Can I enter more than 1 PhotoBook at a time?
NO | Only 1 single PhotoBook can be entered and listed at a time through a FOTOFILMIC18 submission.
18. Am I understanding this right: is my submitted PhotoBook guaranteed to be accepted and become a part of the FotoFilmic FOTOBOOK Collection?
YES | All submitted Photo Books will be automatically accepted and added to the FotoFilmic FOTOBOOK Collection both online and as part of the FotoFilmic//PULP book inventory. There is no selection process involved as long as submitted PhotoBooks are eligible and present imagery integrally shot on film or using analog methods/processes.
19. And will my submitted PhotoBook also definitely tour with the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition in San Francisco, Vancouver and Seoul?
NO | Only PhotoBooks from the final 30 FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition Winners/Exhibitors chosen by the FOTOFILMIC18 Jury and participating to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition will have their PhotoBook showcased in all 3 FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition venues. Other submitted books are all published & promoted online as part of the FotoFilmic FOTOBOOK Collection, and inventoried on the shelves of FotoFilmic//PULP in Vancouver.
20. What happens next once I submitted a PhotoBook to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition Call?
FotoFilmic will contact you shortly to forward you a FotoFilmic FOTOBOOK Collection consignment agreement as well as instructions on how to ship your 3 PhotoBook copies. Once received your 3 PhotoBook copies will be featured inside the FotoFilmic//PULP Gallery in Vancouver and an individual FOTOBOOK Collection online listing will be created and published presenting your PhotoBook to worldwide audiences. Your PhotoBook online listing will be promoted the same day through all FotoFilmic social media channels.
21. Can I choose to only send FotoFilmic 1 PhotoBook copy if I don’t have many remaining book copies?
NO | A total of 3 PhotoBook copies will be required to be shipped to FotoFilmic, all to be signed by hand by the photographer.
22. I am self-published: can I still submit my PhotoBook?
YES | Self-Published Photo Books are very welcome as FOTOFILMIC18 is largely aimed at promoting and diffusing self-published works. We do also accept however PhotoBooks published by both independent publishers & established publication companies.
23. How and when am I paid if 1 or more of my PhotoBook copies sell?
FOTOBOOK Collection sales are all to be paid directly to the photographers or publishers via Paypal. Payment schedule information is part of the FotoFilmic FOTOBOOK Collection consignment agreement.
FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW FAQ
24. What is the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW? Will it be part of the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition in San Francisco, Vancouver & Seoul?
NO | The FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW only takes place at FotoFilmic//PULP in Vancouver, BC, Canada on Bowen Island.
The FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW will present 12 shortlisted photographers (1 print only per exhibitor) for a 1-month duration and have a formal gallery opening.
Once closed all SHORTLIST SHOW prints become part of the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST Print Collection published online and inventoried at FotoFilmic//PULP.
25. Is the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW also juried by the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition Jury? If not who decides what photographers participate to the shows?
NO | The FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLISTS and SHORTLIST SHOW are curated by the FotoFilmic Directors. The FOTOFILMIC18 Jury will review the completed FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST and its 90 photographers in April 2018 to pick the final 30 exhibitors and works to participate to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition in San Francisco, Vancouver & Seoul. The Jury also awards the new 2018 FOTOFILMIC PRIZE and the two Honorable Mentions.
26. If selected for the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW, does this mean I am also selected for the Traveling Exhibition San Francisco, Vancouver & Seoul?
NO | The FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST ShHOW follows a different exhibition track: being a SHORTLIST SHOW exhibitor does not guarantee participation to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition. Participants to the FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition are solely chosen by the FOTOFILMIC18 Jury.
27. What happens if I am selected for the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW? Do I need to send anything?
YES | Photographers will need to mail their exhibition print to FotoFilmic (1 single hand-signed exhibition print per exhibitor).
Shortly after the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST Show Winners announcement FotoFilmic will contact the 12 selected photographers and forward them a FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST Collection consignment agreement as well as shipping instructions on how to mail their exhibition print to FotoFilmic//PULP in Canada.
Photographers do not need to send any high resolution printing files: this process only concerns the final 30 FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition photographers where FotoFilmic produces the show entirely.
28. I would like to change the image FotoFilmic selected for the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW, or I simply don’t want to participate in such exhibition or send any print: can I request a different choice of image, or can I not participate in the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW?
NO | The FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW curation by FotoFilmic is final, no other image choice request is permissible. Participation to the FOTOFILMIC18 exhibition, be it the SHORTLIST SHOW or the final Traveling Exhibition is mandatory upon entering the FOTOFILMIC18 Calls. Failure to send a FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST SHOW print will lead to an automatic disqualification resulting in the photographer’s name being struck off the FOTOFILMIC18 SHORTLIST and no longer being considered or juried for the final FOTOFILMIC18 Traveling Exhibition.
FEES PAYMENT FAQ
29. When submitting my work I chose to enter less than the 20 allowable number of photographs: can I resubmit later more imagery for free to reach my maximum of 20 images?
NO | All submissions entered, paid for and validated are finals once received by FotoFilmic. We therefore recommend that you take the time to carefully prepare and edit your work before submitting.
30. My country of residence is not listed in PayPal: how can I make my FotoFilmic18 submission fee payment?
We are aware PayPal doesn’t necessary list all countries in their Payment system. There’s unfortunately not much FotoFilmic can do to help resolve this issue. One suggestion would be to ask a foreign friend with a PayPal account established in a PayPal-listed country to complete your submission fee payment in your name. If doing so please make sure to contact FotoFilmic to inform us of your friend’s name so your FOTOFILMIC18 submission can be reconciled with this different Paypal fees payment for validation.
31. Will I receive a separate FOTOFILMIC18 submission fee payment email confirmation after the PayPal one?
NO | The only confirmation email you will receive after completing your Paypal submission fee payment will be Paypal’s. We do not initiate any further payment confirmation of our own. Your PayPal payment confirmation email stands as an official record for your transaction with us. Not to worry: once your PayPal payment is confirmed, your entry is automatically validated at FotoFilmic.