REGISTRATIONS ARE CLOSED.
WITH ELISA MEDDE [EDITOR IN CHIEF, FOAM MAGAZINE]
“STRAIGHT TO THE CORE”, OCT 25 – NOV.29, 2020
MEETS ONLINE ON SUNDAYS, 5-8PM PARIS TIME
“One of the trickiest moments during portfolio reviews is usually the core one, when the reviewer asks: “What is this project about?” Often the answer is very long and unrelated to the actual body of work, other times it is short and equally unrelated. Some other times, the answer is what the author wished the body of work was about, while the images tell another story. I would like to take a step back, and talk about what it is you really want to do with your images? And what you wish your images can also say? Are you active in looking and assessing the possibilities, as to consciously choose what to do with them according to the directions you want to take? And once focused on that, are you actively making sure it is present in the images? How do you edit your images and sequences to make sure that focus is properly and effectively conveyed, while staying true to your core values and meanings? During our meetings I would like us to tackle these very important themes, clarify the meaning behind your work, unlock its voice(s), and help pave different ways to get your message out for others to see, listen and understand.”
– Elisa Medde
MASTERCLASS PROGRAM & OUTCOMES
The bulleted list below highlights some of Elisa’s masterclass teaching outcomes. A fully detailed masterclass program including the list of materials to have ready before the start of the class, logins to upload portfolios and Zoom invitations, as well as any planned pre-assignments is provided upon enrolling.
• overview of Elisa’s scope of curatorial practices as both an influential independent curator of contemporary photography having cultivated deep collaborative ties in the global photography industry, and as the Managing Editor of the major publication Foam Magazine
• lecture time describing the role and core responsibilities of photo editors and their relations to photographers, such as how to approach them with your work and build work relationships with them
• individual presentation of each participant’s portfolio with in-depth thematic analysis and debrief to open up new successful editing directions for a variety of outlets
• editing assignments with follow up discussions
• participants get their final edits & texts published in print in a special Masterclass JRNL Edition (free copy mailed out)
Cover image © Courtesy of Foam Magazine, Issue 56 “Elsewhere” Cover